Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 73: Prague, Czech Republic - Getting My Fancy On


Some stuff near the river.

I woke up and realized that I had nothing to do today. Every sight in Prague had been seen, and I still had two days left. In Budapest, I made a concerted effort to see an opera, but realized I couldn't because for some reason operas are off-season in July and August. Now that I was in Prague, and it was September, and I had nothing to do, I figured I might as well see an opera. 

The big obstacle in my way was not having any clothes to wear. I mean, I had been backpacking for over 70 days. I had 5 t-shirts, a pair of shorts, and one pair of pants. Everything was a different color than what it was originally, and nothing even remotely resembled formal opera wear. I needed to shop. Wonderful.

Two minutes after I set out the door, I saw a pair of shoes for $20. Not believing my luck, I picked it up right away and thought I might be able to buy what I need in a relatively short amount of time. Nope. It took me over an hour to find a pair of pants. The receptionist at my hostel insisted that I not wear jeans to the opera. I bought brown colored jeans, hoping that people might not notice I was wearing jeans.


Have a view.

The opera was, frankly, awesome. I saw Carmen, which was cool because it had some songs I recognized. My only previous experience with opera was Parsifal, and I fell asleep. This one was great. Prague's opera house is awesome, and I could watch anything in there and enjoy it. More importantly, I was probably better dressed than 2/3 of the people there. Take heed, backpackers don't have very much couth. Unless it's me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment