Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 74: Prague, Czech Republic - All Good Things Must Come to an End


Look closely. It's not fake.

Since I was done with Prague, I decided to take a day trip to Kutna Hora. It's about an hour outside of Prague and known for its bone chapel. In the 16th century, some inventive person decided to decorate the inside of a chapel with the remains of over 40,000 human bodies. It was supposed to represent the connection between life and death. Or it was just supposed to be creepy. In the 19th century, a carpenter renovated the place. I'm not exactly sure how you renovate a bunch of bones. Bleach?


Skulls.


A bone shield.


Um... yeah.

After freaking myself out sufficiently, I wandered into the village to have a peak. It was Sunday, and was very sleepy. There was a little tavern open where I had a lunch of beer, goose breast, mashed potatoes, and lard dumplings. I headed back to Prague in the afternoon to make it in time for Swan Lake, also at the opera house. The performance was good, and my first ballet. I wish I had known a little bit about the plot before watching, though.

After the ballet, I wandered up and down the river for a little bit, and smoked a Cuban I had bought earlier. It was a fitting end to a wonderful trip. I'll have to do it again some time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment