Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 64: Vienna, Austria - A Cruise Down the Danube


The Danube, it's still not blue.

My mom wanted to show me the Danube via boat, so we drove up the Danube and then floated down it on a little cruise. Strauss was playing in my head, but that river still isn't blue. On further reflection, I don't think big rivers are blue. They're too busy carrying silt, mud, and who knows what else from up river. It wouldn't make sense to have a clear blue big river.


A church overlooking the Danube.

The cruise was nice. My parents and I sat around, catching up. We were all a bit hungry after the cruise so we headed to a local restaurant for beer and ribs. I'm not sure when the Austrians caught onto ribs, but they do them well. Two racks come on a large wooden platter on top of fries, and are accompanied by slaw and two dipping sauces. Interestingly, the ribs were grilled, not barbecued. Regardless, better beer accompanying food would be hard to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment