Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 65: Vienna, Austria - Lots of Museums


Hapsburgs' winter palace.

Alright, time to see some new things in Vienna. But first, a nice lunch with my mom and some of her co-workers. Apparently they're enchanted by my good looks and read this blog religiously in hopes that I'll post a picture of myself instead of tourist sights. No luck this time.

Vienna was raining, so it was fortuitous that I planned to see a couple of museums that day. Museums Quarter is a chunk of Vienna that's been completely dedicated to museums. There's four large museums in it, and a heep of exhibitions, galleries, etc. My targets were the Leopold Museum, and the MOMUC, which is some German acronym that means modern art museum. 


Bad picture of Museums Quarter.

The Leopold Museum was great. It's almost entirely dedicated to Austrian artists, particularly Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt. In fact, the first floor was practically the Egon Schiele museum, while the second floor was the Gustav Klimt museum. The third floor was for artists who weren't important enough to be on the first two floors. 

I'm not a huge fan of modern art, so the MOMUC wasn't that appealing. I only went because the ticket was cheap if I packaged it together with the Leopold Museum. There was a lot of science/art integration, and the expected random drops of paint that somehow constitute a $3 million piece of art. This room, however, was pretty cool.


Fun with mirrors!

Then it rained. A lot. I decided to do what seemingly all Viennese do in the rain, or proably in any weather for that matter, have a very expensive cup of coffee. Don't get me wrong, the coffee is very good, but for $4 Euros a cup, no wonder Viennese stay so long at cafes. I felt that if I didn't I wasn't getting my money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment