Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 63: Vienna, Austria - Deja Vu


Vienna, we meet again.

Vienna is the only city on my itinerary that I have visited before. Last time I was here for a little less than two days. A friend of a friend was studying abroad here while I was studying abroad in Rome. We stopped over in Salzburg and then stayed with him in Vienna. It was nice, though admittedly I didn't see very much of the city. Mostly what I remember is eating a lot of sausages. This time would be different, though still probably full of sausages.

I started out by taking the Metro to Stephansplatz, the center of the city and home to a ridiculously large cathedral that I believe is always construction, because it was five years ago and still is. Nevertheless, it's pretty impressive.


St. Stephen's Cathedral, that part that's not under construction.

Ironically my next stop was one of the only sights that I did see last time, the Belvedere Museum. It was surely someone's former super opulent home, and is now a nice art museum. It's not as large as some of the other art museums in Vienna, but has an incredible collection of mainly Austrian art, particularly Gustav Klimt and The Kiss. Somehow it made sense to go back there as my first destination. Plus, I really like that painting.


The Belvedere.

For lunch I had a kaisekrenner, quite possibly one of the world's most perfect foods. It's a sausage stuffed with cheese, stuffed into a roll (literally stuffed, it's not a bun), and generously lubricated with mustard. That's it. I'm pretty sure it's increased in price by at least 200% since last time, but it has not decreased in deliciousness. I don't think Austrians realize how lucky they are to have those things on every street corner. Imagine the satisfaction of eating one of them after a late night. 

After an afternoon beer, I met up with my parents for dinner and managed to capture the following photo from their balcony.


No comments:

Post a Comment