Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 32: Istanbul, Turkey - A Little Ukulele in the Middle East



Ladies and gentlemen, the Aya Sofya.

Originally established as a Byzantine church by Emperor Justinian, the Aya Sofya was later converted to a mosque by the Ottomans. This makes it unique in that it has Christian and Muslim elements in the same building. More importantly for me, it's a BIG building. Like, it's impossible to describe just how cavernously large it is on the inside. There's just so much space and space and space.


Biiiiiiiiiiiiig!

The architecture is beautiful, and there are well preserved mosaics throughout the building, but without a doubt the highlight of Aya Sofya is the size. Walking in just makes you feel really tiny, and it was a nice feeling. 

I thought I would go from really big and really spacious to really small and really stygian. Right next to the Aya Sofya is the Basilica Cistern, also built by Emperor Justinian for times of siege. It holds something like 80,000 gallons of water and has two Medusa heads at the end for extra effect. It was cool, damp, dark, atmospheric -- perfect.


Inside the cistern.


Just feel the atmosphere.

A Turkish friend from college recommended that I check out Taksim, a neighborhood across the bridge that has become the cultural hub of modern Istanbul. She wasn't lying. It's a completely pedestrian road with shops, cafes, and restaurants on both sides for at least a mile. Every side street leads to more restaurants, more shops, and more cafes. Mohawks and chucks walked along side hijabs and Abbayas. Very cool place. It was also here I discovered midye dolma, which are mussels that are somehow stuffed and cooked inside their shells with rice and then served to you with lemon juice. Ridiculous.


Taksim's main drag.

I saw a music store along the street with an ukulele hanging in the window. Having not played an ukulele for awhile, I jumped at the chance. I can't say I was very good, but apparently I carried enough fo a tune that the shopkeeper picked up a bongo/tabla type instrument and started playing a long. It was a nice little moment. If I were better at playing, maybe the moment would have lasted longer.

Waiting for me back at the hostel was an unexpected old face, a friend from college who even lived on the same floor as I did. Somehow we randomly both ended up at the same hostel in Istanbul. We went out that night and caught up, talked about old friends, etc. 


No comments:

Post a Comment