Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 70: Prague, Czech Republic - There's A Lot of Idiots Who Travel

Last traveling day of the trip. I woke up, ate a waffle for breakfast, bid adieu to my Aussie friends, and took a bus to train to Prague. Like Cesky Krumlov, the weather in Prague sucked. It was cold and rainy, not exactly sightseeing weather.

I decided to spend a long time eating lunch, which was composed of fatty pork, cabbage, and dumplings, washed down with a few pilsners. Healthy, no. Delicious, yes. After lunch, I was sufficiently nourished enough to brave the rain and see the city. It was too cold and wet to take pictures, but I ended up walking into the town square and then by the Charles Bridge. Had I been able to see through the rain, and had I been warm, it might have been scenic.

For dinner I decided to grab a huge bowl of hot and sour soup from a Chinese restaurant near the hostel. At the other table were some very loud Brits who were having trouble communicating with the waitress. At one point one girl even grabbed the waitress's notepad and wrote down her order herself. They were quite aggressive and I felt bad for the waitress, so I went over to lend a hand. One British girl looked at me and asked me, very slowly and very loudly, "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?" After confirming that I did, the entire table told me what they wanted to order and I started speaking to the waitress in Chinese. Meanwhile, the Brits decided to thank me by ching chonging in the background. Seriously?

I really wanted to say something, but was afraid I would drive away customers, which would not make the waitress's boss happy. Instead, I kept my mouth shut and told the waitress, in Chinese, that these customers were idiots. It's one thing to be like that in one's own country. After all, if I were to open a restaurant in London, the patrons would have a right to expect that I speak their language in order to cater to them. However, all of us were in Prague. Only the waitress spoke Czech. The Brits had no reason to expect that anyone should be able to speak their foreign language.

It's disgusting that those people will have more opportunities in their lives than the waitress they berated. They don't deserve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment