Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day 37: Varna, Bulgaria - Off to the Soviet Bloc



Varna's big park. 

I was only in Varna for a short time, mainly to unwind after a long bus ride and sample the Black Sea. I would be traveling to Plovdiv today, but not before having another half day or so in Varna. The first item on my agenda was to sleep in to a shameful degree. It was helped by the fact that, after over a month in the Middle East, the temperature finally dipped below 30 degrees Celsius. Ahh, heaven.

I walked around Varna a little bit more, ate another cheap filling meal (roasted peppers and a pork kebab), and devoured some more gelato. Man, I can really get used to these prices. More importantly, as I was walking to the train station I realized that I was finally done with overnight bus rides. That is one part of Turkey I will definitely not miss. The trains were exactly what I was hoping for, old and Soviet. 


The Bulgarian countryside.

My destination was Plovdiv, Bulgaria's "second city" after its capitol, Sofia. It was about 6.5 hours away, but I was able to spend that time wandering around a train instead of strapped to a bus seat wrestling with crying babies. I arrived at Plovdiv at 10:00 PM and, bet you can't guess, ate another cheap hearty meal accompanied with lots of beer. This time it was sauteed chicken livers. Bulgaria is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment