Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 1: Cairo (though mainly the Paris airport) - Why the French Hate Us

So in a bout of tremendous intelligence, I somehow came to believe that the only way I could leave the United States was by driving back to Idaho Falls, dropping off my car, and taking a 4 hour bus ride to Salt Lake City's airport. It didn't occur until after I reserved my ticket that I could simply leave my car in Seattle and fly out of Seattle, saving me a long drive, a bus ride, and another bus ride back, and an even longer drive to California afterward. Unfortunately, my ticket was nonrefundable, so I had to book a separate ticket from Seattle to Salt Lake City. Somehow it seemed fitting that I fly out of Salt Lake City, where I've spent so much time waiting for buses, flights, watching missionaries come and go, etc.

I'm currently in Paris, drinking a three Euro half-liter bottle of water (note, that means it's too expensive for how big it is) waiting for my flight to Cairo. It only took about 15 minutes before I heard an American in Air France's line call the clerk behind the desk a "fucking cunt." Moments later, the impatient American behind me began unabashedly hissing at the clerks to hurry up. Her hissing was met by polite hand gestures asking her to chill out. It's a good thing their soccer team became a national embarrassment, or else they might not be so subdued.

Alright, my over-ambitious goal is to actually blog every single day. That doesn't mean I'll post every single day. My strategy is to write long hand notes into a notebook I'll carry around with me and then post them all whenever I find myself with some time at an internet cafe. This is only an over-ambitious goal. We'll see how long I can fulfill this goal before I give up.

Au revoir, yo!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to be the first one to post the comment. A three Euro bottle of water sounds expensive even by European standard. However, a bottle of half-liter water only costs less than a quarter in Egypt. Only drink water coming from well sealed bottles.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete