Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 59: Budapest, Hungary - A Down Day



Heroes' Square.

My previous night ended up being longer than I expected. Two Danish girls and I went out and ran into a couple of Australians they had met in Serbia. Nothing terribly exciting, but the Australians did not have very good comments about Aborigines. One of them called them "lazy and living off the government." Another simply said they were "less intelligent than all other people." I simply nodded along, not wanting to start an argument.

After they left, however, I was rather delighted to hear one of the Danish girls absolutely lambaste them for what they said. Her name was Sabrina. Good for you, Sabrina. It astounds me how travelers, whom one would expect to be more open-minded and progressive than most, can harbor such awful ideas. 


More Budapest streets.

I went to the Museum of Fine Arts today, which, thanks to the old Austro-Hungarian empire, has amassed an impressive number of important works. Note, if you ever want to find a good art museum, go to the former center of an empire. I wasn't sure what to do next, so I went back to Lukacs. Why not? It was awesome. I had a mousse this time. I still miss it.

After a long previous night, I took it easy and stayed in the hostel. The Danish girls and I said more bad things about the Aussies we met last night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment