Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 46: Kotor, Montenegro / Dubrovnik, Croatia - An Old City Winner


Old city in Dubrovnik.

Slept in after a late night. Poor American girls woke up to catch the early bus, only to discover it was full, and then sat around for 6 hours waiting for the late bus. I knew I wouldn't be that ambitious and just bought a ticket for the late bus to Dubrovnik. I spent the rest of the morning hanging out in cafes and enjoying Kotor's old city. There were noticeably fewer Montenegrans walking around that morning. Wonder why.

The bus ride to Dubrovnik was short and painless, less than 3 hours in fact. Upon arrival, I didn't have a hostel reservation because everything was completely full. My strategy was to work the apartment mongers at the bus stop. It worked. I ended up with a double bed in a private room of a very nice elderly couple who also provided me with free laundry and breakfast. After lots of dorm rooms, I was more than ready for a big bed in a private room.

With some time left in the night, I sauntered over to Dubrovnik's old city. Now, I had seen a fair share of old cities at this point, so I wasn't too excited to see another one, but Dubrovnik proved me wrong. Not only is the old city beautiful, but Dubrovnik recognizes what a huge money maker it is and makes maximum effort to preserve and even restore it. Everything is made of gleaming white marble, including the roads. All the rooftops are constructed from the same orange/red masonry. It's impeccable and incredible.


More narrow streets, but better.


I ate dinner, bought gelato, and ate it on the steps of this church.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see your new posting. I was going to wait for 5 days. Fortunately Dad asked for a picture from your blog today.

    Safe travel,

    ReplyDelete